T. G. Mercer provides a full range of customized services in transportation management, R.E. services, pipeline logistics and comprehensive consulting services to meet the needs of the companies we serve. In all of our efforts we are committed to safety, quality and the environment.
Transportation and Logistics Management
Transporting and logistics are the heart of our business. Our goal is to provide:
- Tracking and managing the movement of pipe by ship, barge, rail or truck.
- Pipe handling: off loading, stockpiling, hauling, stringing.
- Offload and stockpile pipe from rail or barge.
- Negotiating through-rail rates for barge and rail.
- Providing personnel and specialized equipment to handle project material.
- Estimating transportation costs.
- Tracking empty cars from yard back to the mill.
- Coordinating with the mills, railroads and barge lines to set and maintain delivery schedules.
- Setting specifications for transporting and handling pipe.
- Expediting the pipe from mill to storage yard.
- Tallying the pipe in the yard.
- Inspecting the pipe for damage in the yard.
- Repairing minor coating damage.
Real Estate Services and Pipe Yard Selection
The manner and locations in which you access, ship and store pipe can make a tremendous impact on your bottom line. At T.G. Mercer, our goal is to help you find cost-effective ways to store pipe, while ensuring that you have easy access to the pipe you need, when you need it. Services include:
- Identifying, locating and negotiating leases for staging yards, warehouses, railroad spurs and barge facilities.
- Identifying rail and barge discharge locations near pipeline R.O.W.
- Identifying multiple staging yards that will accommodate rail, barge, and/or truck delivery.
- Identifying warehouse storage facilities at or near potential staging yards.
- Preparing staging yards to meet all state, local, federal and environmental guidelines.
- Leasing barge or rail unloading sites, staging yards and covered warehouses. All leases are subject to company approval.
- Coordinating with environmentalists and archeologists to ensure all requirements are met.
Marine Consulting and Barge Transportation
Curt Gauthé, an experienced veteran with more than 30 years in the maritime industry, heads American International Maritime (AIM), a T.G. Mercer company. In addition to overseeing shipments of pipe, Curt can oversee and manage any part of the supply chain, for any type of material that is shipped over water. Areas of expertise include:
- Chartering ocean vessels.
- Arranging stevedoring services.
- Arranging contract and spot barge freight.
- Arranging terminal services throughout the inland waterways system.
- Providing truck freight, rail freight, and transportation consulting.
- Overseeing and managing shipments of pipe and steel products, as well as bulk, bagged, break bulk and project cargo.
- Preparing all modes of transportation, full package or individually, on a spot or annual basis.